knitter next door

How I became a girl who can't say no to knitting (and other musings on obsession) esimnitt (at) yahoo (dot) com

Sunday, May 07, 2006

SP8 Nitty Gritty

So here are my answers for you, secret pal:

1.What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I pretty much like all natural fibers. Cotton is a little tougher for me, but I've knit quite a bit out of the organic cotton and have come around to its beauty.

I'm not a huge fan of acrylic, and while I've knit lots with novelty yarns, they are not my favorite. If you go by my stash, you would deduct that I LOVE mohair. Or maybe I just love buying mohair.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I wouldn't say I have a method for this. I've been meaning to get around to making a needle case or two. My straight needles are stuffed into a drawer (mostly). My circulars hang from a hook in the closet in the yarn room.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

My come to knitting story: Like many now-knitters, someone tried to teach me when I was 12. It didn't take. On Nov. 9, 2003, when my hubby was out of town, I sat down with Debbie Stoller's "Stitch 'n Bitch" and retaught myself. I've been a knitting maniac every since.

I hope that I've moved beyond beginner to intermediate. I'm pretty good at deciphering lace patterns, but my fair isle ventures are very few at this point.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Hmmmm. I think I started a wish list once. I'm making a goal right now to do that (maybe even today).

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)


I'm not big into smelly stuff. I don't like anything that's perfumey or floral. I'm totally sick of vanilla. I have some mint lotion I sort of like and some gingery stuff that I dig. Oh, yeah, and nothing that smells like food.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

YES! And an obsession with candy to match. I'm fascinated by regionally produced candy (like the Idaho Spud made here in my Boise). When I travel, I always stock up. I brought back two bagfuls of candy from my recent trip to Japan. I like anything that's quirky, and I'm willing to try anything once.

And I really, really like nuts with my chocolate (but I can do sour candy, licorice, etc.) When it comes to candy, I'm easy.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I don't spin and I'm not interested at this point in adding that to the rep. I crochet some. I really, really want to sew more, but all that I've managed to accomplish on that front is borrowing the mil's sewing machine and buying a pattern for a funky bag.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I have a Tori Amos CD in my car that I slip in every time the news on NPR gets boring. I like Beck and the alterna crowd (Green Day, etc.). But I also like jazz and classical and I've really been meaning to buy some opera, probably starting with Mozart's "The Magic Flute."

I'm totally not snobby in my music tastes and pretty much like anything with a good tune and a little rhythm.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

Those socks I got from my sock pal? I love those colors! I love color and unusual pairings of color. My favorite sweater right now is spring green. My current favorite shirt has grays, greens and oranges. I've sort of been on an orange kick (which I think is a spring/summer seasonal thing). I have pretty purple shoes.

I'm pretty open when it comes to color. (I have a lot of blue, too). I tend to be less entranced with pastels and greys.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Me, a husband (of 10 years on July 20!) and Scully, the cat who like no one but us.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Love scarves. LOVE scarves. And hats and mittens, too. I knit a poncho for myself once and I really can't stand to wear it. I feel funny. In theory I like them. I like them on other people. I just don't like them on myself.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?


Hmmmmm. All these favorite questions. My problem, I guess, is I have too many favorites.

I knit a lot of scarves, because I sell them at the holidays. But I won't say they are my favorite.

I really dig knitting socks. I prefer lace patterns to color work (but I'm working on that). Basically, I choose patterns that interest me, whether it's a sweater, bag, socks, hat, gloves, etc.

13. What are you knitting right now?


I'm finishing up two pairs of socks that got put on the backburner while I finished the sock pal socks. I want to start the Prairie Tunic from the Spring Knits issue in this orange cotton I've had sitting around for a long time.

I've also been working on a tube top from last fall's Knit Scene (which I definitely heart).

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Yes!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Depends on the project. I've really only used bamboo and metal. I like both.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?


No/no.


17. How did you learn to knit?

Let me recap and expand: I taught myself the basics from "Stitch 'n Bitch." I knit a couple of scarves, then headed to my LYS for further help with more complicated projects. I continue to teach myself by taking on projects that I think look too hard.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?


About a year. (It's Lucky from "Stitch 'n Bitch Nation." All I have left is sewing the 1x1 rib around the neck. It's been this way for quite some time).


19. What is your favorite holiday?


Christmas. Hands down. (But I like Thanksgiving, too).

20. Is there anything that you collect?

Clothes? (That's what my husband would say). Yarn? Notheirng specific.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I've been wanting to buy "One Skein," but I have to wait until we pay off the credit card with our Japan trip charges on it this month.

I don't have any knitting magazine subscriptions, but I almost always buy the current issue of Knits and often Vogue.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?


Fair isle! Color knitting!

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yep. I wear size 9 shoe (my foot length is mostly in my big toe).

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)


Sept. 20.

Whew! That's a lot about me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home