knitter next door

How I became a girl who can't say no to knitting (and other musings on obsession) esimnitt (at) yahoo (dot) com

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Misc.

So I'm putting off delving into the Rachael Ray for tonight's dinner, and what better way to do that then to talk about memememememe.

A coworker of mine recently quit his MySpace.com account in disgust with what he sees as everyone's boring, blatant self-promotion. "It's all vanity," he says.

Being a woman, I know a little about vanity and a lot about self-reflection, especially the type achieved after long hours in front of the mirror wondering if I could will my hair curly. That adolescent exercise was accompanied by my woeful practicing witty and clever responses to the cute young man I kept wishing I'd meet at the Roller Skating rink (hey, I grew up in Idaho Falls, Idaho). Combine these practices with the typical mother-daughter exchanges that start with the mother figure asking: "Are you really going to wear your hair out like that?" and I've got a strong helping of neurotic vanity.

(To read more about the mother-daughter thing, check out a linguist's perspective).

These days, instead of talking to the mirror, I talk to the nethersphere of blog land. And I'm not looking for a cute guy anymore (already found that) (oh, how sweet). Instead, I'm looking for approval, acknowledgement that maybe, buried somewhere deep, I might be sort of cool. Or maybe have cool ideas. Or at least have good taste in what yarn I buy and what patterns I choose to knit. Or what awesome bags I'd buy (if I weren't too cheap to buy a purse from anywhere but a thrift story).

With that preamble, here's an unsolicited meme. You didn't ask for it, but your getting is anyway:

Four jobs I've had:
Telemarketer
Barrista
Census taker
Journalist

4 movies to watch over and over
High Fidelity
13 Going on 30
The Matrix
Pride and Prejudice

4 TV shows
Buffy (on DVD)
Alias
America's Next Top Model
Veronica Mars

4 places I've vacationed
London-Paris-Amsterdam
New Orleans
Key West
Maine

4 website I visit daily
www.idahostatesman.com
www.elann.com
www.zap2it.com
www.zappos.com

4 favorite foods
nuts
rice&peas&cheese (a combo I've been eating since college)
No. 911 sushi rolls (super spicy)
jalapenos

4 places I'd rather be
Paris
Treasure Garden (favorite thrift store)
a b&b in stowe, vermont
at the movies

1 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Blogger Brynne said...

I'm so with you on the wanting to be cool via my blog thing. Being a stay at home mom in Houston sort of makes you feel super boring, but the blogging community makes me feel like my knitting is worthwhile and sort of cool, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home