knitter next door

How I became a girl who can't say no to knitting (and other musings on obsession) esimnitt (at) yahoo (dot) com

Monday, September 12, 2005

The Knitty and the Gritty



First, the gritty. That's where the lovingly-worn Chuck's come in. They're my preferred vehicle for walking the hood in this gorgeou-mont (D's word) fall weather we've been having. Unfortunately, as of late, they've been used more for dodging dog poop than walking. Really, people. If your dog takes a crap in the middle of the sidewalk, other people will notice. Other people will probably step on it, and I can only hope that some of them might track it all over your shag carpet. It's disgusting. It's gross. It's irresponsible. And it hangs out for a really, really long time.

As part of an experiment, I've been watching closely a mound left on the sidewalk just yards from the elementary school. I want to see how long it lasts. As of today, we're going on three weeks. Sure, it looks like it's been kicked around a bit (probably by an innocent young first grader) and it's taken on a dry, crumbly outer coat. But it's still definitely recognizable as poop. And it still mars an otherwise lovely fall breeze with its unmistakable doody stank. Look, irresponsible dog owner, at your legacy to my hood. Gross.

With that scraped off my shoes, now for the knitty: See that pile o'pink by the Chuck's? I always prefer a pile o' yarn to a pile o' dog doo-doo. However, this non-stinky (when dry) mound of Lotus Pink Brown Sheep worsted has proven problematic. I aquired it early in my yarn buying days, back when I was color blind to everything but hot pink yarn. It's a lot of pink for one sweater. But, with the debut of last week's Knitty, I think it's met its match. God bless you, Brynne, with your inspired Samus pattern. I can't get enough cardigans. I've got more than enough yarn. I'm thinking it will be a match made in heaven.

Now, can someone solve the dog poop problem, please?
 Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger Brynne said...

Emily -- thank you for your comment on my site this morning. I was half afraid the blog world was going to collectively tell me to shut up about it already, but it's been the complete opposite.

I'm also glad that someone else is making a bright Samus. There's a place for all colors, but so few people are willing to wear bold ones. Come on, people, it's just clothing -- have fun! I cannot wait to see your sweater, hopefully modeled with those awesomely loved Chucks.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Knitter Next Door said...

I'm a huge fan of brightly knit items. I think they show off pretty patterns (like the cables in Samus). Plus, I'm all about wearing my knitting loud and proud. I just can't help it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home