knitter next door

How I became a girl who can't say no to knitting (and other musings on obsession) esimnitt (at) yahoo (dot) com

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

VOTE

If you live in Boise, then get your behind to the polls and vote on the library bond issue. As an unbiased journalist, I can't tell you how to vote. But as someone who credits the Idaho Falls Public Library with a good half of her pre-college education, I will say that I think libraries are one of the most important cornerstones of a Democracy. All information, free for the taking. All those books, ready to open minds. All that public space for kids to come and learn that reading is exciting and good. And to that argument that people don't use the library? There's been a rare day in my entire life that I didn't have something checked out of the library. Right now, my card is holding a stack of books on travel in Japan, a CD version of Zadie Smith's "On Beauty" and several books on famous love letters (think Brownings). I have a "Lemony Snicket" DVD on hold to pick up. I can't tell you how many library knitting books that have passed through my house.

If there's one thing I feel more passionate about than knitting, it's libraries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home