knitter next door

How I became a girl who can't say no to knitting (and other musings on obsession) esimnitt (at) yahoo (dot) com

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

All's Fair


Last night I had this little fantasy about getting work discussing Victorian literature in a minor way (as opposed to the major way required if you get a PhD in the stuff). You know, I'd draw in little bits from the culture museum I went to in York and the costume museum in Bath and even some bona fide academic jargon from a class I took 10 years ago in grad school.

Then I shook myself out of my daydream (nobody would pay me to pretend to know more about the Victorians than I do) and went on to prepare my entry to the Western Idaho State Fair.

Today was the big day. I stuffed my holy pink! sweater, my Clapotis, a pair of socks, a pair of mittens and some lace work into a big Banana Republic sack and headed to the fair grounds. I'm not really sure it's my best work, but it's the work that I finished this year and haven't given away or sold. Next year I vow to be more prepared. I didn't even look at the categories until I filled out my form today standing beside my stack o' knitted goods.

I'm certainly not expecting any glory, but I can tell you I'm so excited to go a'Fairing (either Friday or Saturday) and sneak peaks at my work on display in between eating corndogs, fried Twinkies, extra-greasy fries, corn on the cob slathered with butter, a big fat side of grilled onions and some fresh-squeezed limeade to wash it all down.

I love, LOVE the State Fair. I can't believe I'm actually going to be part of it! Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home